by Lord Buckbeak – Jan 8, 2021
The following is from the Mayo Clinic website:
Types of vegetarian diets
When people think about a vegetarian diet, they typically think about a diet that doesn’t include meat, poultry or fish. But vegetarian diets vary in what foods they include and exclude:
- Lacto-vegetarian diets exclude meat, fish, poultry and eggs, as well as foods that contain them. Dairy products, such as milk, cheese, yogurt and butter, are included.
- Ovo-vegetarian diets exclude meat, poultry, seafood and dairy products, but allow eggs.
- Lacto-ovo vegetarian diets exclude meat, fish and poultry, but allow dairy products and eggs.
- Pescatarian diets exclude meat and poultry, dairy, and eggs, but allow fish.
- Vegan diets exclude meat, poultry, fish, eggs and dairy products — and foods that contain these products.
Some people follow a semivegetarian diet — also called a flexitarian diet — which is primarily a plant-based diet but includes meat, dairy, eggs, poultry and fish on occasion or in small quantities.
I considered the above alternatives to a strictly vegan or vegetarian diet and concluded that I myself should consider becoming a vegetarian with some flexitarian concepts thrown in for variety and balance. This new diet should be better for the planet and better for my health.
But what to call myself? After pondering this for some time I came up with the following distinctive:
I am a Lacto-ovo-pesce-bovine-porcine-ovis-poultry vegetarian. In keeping with the core principles of this diet we do try to limit out intake of fruits and vegetables to no red, orange, yellow, green or leafy products. We are however encouraged to consume all of the tubers and legumes (especially potato and peanut products) that we desire along with bread, pasta and sugar to maintain a healthy balance. And virtually everything in this special diet can be breaded with flour and salt and deep fried in lard or peanut oil for added nutrition. It is also highly recommended to cook any beef or poultry over an open wood fire or on a charcoal grill. And likewise considered a best practice to smoke pork for 10 to 12 hours before consuming.